What's up with developing?

greenmilk

What's up with developing?

Post by greenmilk »

I'm crazily eager for the next nightly! I know GTA core code is fuckin complicated and it isn't easy to write some lines of stable code injecting into the messy code of the world-best game series. I also know it's hard to do it besides other things (family, job, another hobbies etc.). But it is approaching to 10th years anniversaries of Old-School MTA and that's such a long time. So I ask what's up? I could help with everything I know if needed, but I have well nigh nothing to offer. I know very well only computer playing, websites programming (Html5, Css3 and Php5) and also installation of gypsum boards :D (but if you want to help with developing by any of my knowledges, I immediately accept).

Are you near to release? Do you remember the first release date of MTA:VC? Or MTA 0.4? And what about MTA 0.5? Because their 10th years anniversary is coming! I doubt MTA:SA Team will celebrate it. So what about surprising MTA fans with remake of the "Old-School MTA With New Code"? I suggest here my ideas of releasing very long awaited 0.5.1 (Blue) at these three 10thYA upcoming dates:

What about releasing MTA 0.5.1 on the 2nd August 2013 (MTA:VC v0.1 10thYA)
Or another release date might be on the 27th July 2014 (MTA v0.4 10thYA)
Or in my opinion the latest possible date on the 31st January 2015 (MTA v0.5 10thYA) ;)

ProjectRedivivus fan from the Bohemia (somewhere in the central Europe :| )
SugarD-x
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: What's up with developing?

Post by SugarD-x »

Hey there!

We're eager to get it done too! Unfortunately, many of our Developers have been extremely busy with real life lately, and we've hit a couple snags trying to resolve some bugs in our code, so things have been sitting for a bit on the backburner. I'm hoping to get things jumpstarted soon, as summer is coming up, and that means vacations for Developers and fans alike!

Another issue we tend to have is a lack of Developers themselves. Finding people who know C++, know the internal workings of GTA well, will work for free, and aren't already taken by another project makes it extremely difficult to get people that can help out in the project. We are still aiming to make it open source down the road, but it's awaiting finishing 0.5.1 before we do so, so that we can ensure a stable base is made public for all to enjoy.

As for your suggestions about the release dates, they are definitely ones we want to hit, but no promises can be made right now. For Blue too, we have an even tougher time because converting over code is never easy, and sharing both projects makes it difficult to spread out the workload in such a way that keeps both active all the time...so sometimes it's a balancing act. If we can get more help, we can definitely make more progress at an even faster rate. It's just a matter of finding those willing and able. :)
ixjf
Developer
Developer

Post by ixjf »

I seriously hope the next release comes with most bugs fixed - Multi Theft Auto 0.5r2 has so many bugs that it hurts.
SugarD-x
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by SugarD-x »

ixjf wrote:I seriously hope the next release comes with most bugs fixed - Multi Theft Auto 0.5r2 has so many bugs that it hurts.
Most of those bugs are carried over from the original 0.5 version. Thankfully, courtesy of our friend VRocker at Liberty Unleashed, we were able to get a whole 'lotta buffer overflows fixed, so the client is much more stable now. Many common crashes cease to exist, and a couple funny glitches have since been fixed. If I'm remembering correctly, this also fixes the classic "flying car/driving helicopter" bug in MTA:VC 0.x where a car and a helicopter would be switched in the client's eyes, but not the server's, and you would see some crazy things happen. I also believe we have fixed the old glitch which allowed multiple people to enter the Dodo at once in GTA3:MTA 0.x, however don't quote me on that quite yet. More is to come, but we still do need more Developers to help us out.
ixjf
Developer
Developer

Post by ixjf »

I see this has been very inactive, I see no roadmap updates either. Can we expect anything soon? Is there any hope this will ever come out?

I would love to help you getting things done, but unfortunately I don't have the time to do so because of my current project (also related to Vice City, but I'll not say much more as that would be kind of advertisement, which I suppose is against the rules?).
SugarD-x
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by SugarD-x »

Unfortunately due to summer, things aren't getting any easier for our Developers. They've all been extremely busy, with some of them still taking school/college classes or working during this time.

We are also seeking more Developers to remedy the issue.
Jaysds1
Beta Tester

Post by Jaysds1 »

Well, I'm willing to help out with the Wiki as it does need to be filled with information about what "Project Redivivus" is doing and how users/clients could use it.

For an example, how to script on the server and what functions can we use on to make the server experience better.

BTW, this is all I got for the wiki from before: http://tinyurl.com/mjt5hjy
SugarD-x
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by SugarD-x »

Nice find!

The reason why I haven't done much progress on the wiki lately is that I'm still trying to modify it. Unfortunately, it is incredibly difficult to work with when modifying it's source code to match the design of the rest of the site, so I've been avoiding adding pages to it for this reason. If you are able to successfully do it yourself, you are more than welcome to update things. :)
Jaysds1
Beta Tester

Post by Jaysds1 »

For some reason, the wayback machine didn't recover all the pages, only some pages that I've already added on the wiki.
Now my question is, is it possible you could send me those pages?
If you can put it in one file, then can you upload it here: http://hosting.jworld137.com
SugarD-x
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by SugarD-x »

Unfortunately I have to search through our backups, but I think many of them were sadly lost when the site went down. I'll see what I can do, but I'm not sure if I have them anymore or not.